Knowledgebase FAQs



How do I seek Academic Amnesty?

« Go Back


For students who apply for readmission and who have not taken any college or university classes for 6 years. 

Effective Fall 1998, FIU undergraduate students who have not been enrolled in any university or college for at least six calendar years may apply for academic amnesty. If re-admitted, students will begin with a new GPA of 0.0. No grades previously earned will be included in the University GPA, however, credits for previous University courses in which a grade of “C” or better was earned may be applied toward a degree, subject to determination by the student’s academic department. All prior courses attempted and grades received will appear on the student’s transcript. 

Admitted students may not petition for any retroactive change in their academic record. Students applying for academic amnesty to a limited access program must meet the admission criteria of the program. Students must follow the regular re-admission application process and complete the amnesty form for consideration to be determined by the appropriate academic dean at the time of readmission.

For more information regarding Academic Amnesty, please contact the Admission's Office at (305) 348-2363 or visit the Academic Amnesty section on the Admission's website. You can also download the Academic Amnesty/Salvage PDF Form on the Admission's website.



Was this article helpful?



Please tell us how we can make this article more useful.

Characters Remaining: 255


Search for FAQ

Reset Search

Select a Category

Narrow Search

<Group 1 Label>